Thursday, April 26, 2012

How to Not Play Chess

Trying to get back into live chess. This was not a good way to kick it off, but at least my mistakes were so obvious that I'd be thick not to learn from them.

Why You No Play d5




[Event "Live Chess"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2012.04.26"]
[Round ""]
[White "kambet1"]
[Black "lindseyann"]
[TimeControl "15"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteELO "1218"]
[BlackELO "1092"]

{An absolutely terrible game of live chess I played today.}
1.e4 c5
{I really need to either learn more about the Sicilian or start playing a different opening.}
2.Nf3 e6 3.Bc4 Nc6 4.c3
{The computer really wanted me to play d5 from this point on. I stubbornly refuse to comply. It logically makes sense, but I was randomly moving pieces that I've seen get moved in my correspondence games. A terrible strategy...}
4...Nge7 5.d3 g6
{Again, d5 would have given me a slight advantage. This move takes away that square from my knight, and he now has no where good to go. Not to mention, my bishop doesn't have much to do from a fianchettoed position.}
6.O-O Bg7 7.Na3 O-O 8.Bg5
{We're still even here, and if I'd just played d5 it probably would have stayed that way. Things go down hill pretty quickly from here.}
8...b6 9.Qd2 Bb7 10.Bh6 Bxh6 11.Qxh6
{I really needed to see the threat of Ng5 here (and play f6), but I did not.} 11...Qc7 12.Ng5
{It's forced mate from here.}
12...Rfe8 13.Qxh7+ Kf8 14.Qxf7#
1-0

No comments: