Monday, August 2, 2010

LindseyAnn vs. Krasi24 0-1

As promised, here is that really embarrassing loss that I suffered recently. I've been spending a lot more time playing than analyzing. Since my last update, I've gotten a few more wins under my belt. I also suffered a crushing loss today and I have a few boards where things look very delicate at the moment.

I won six games in a row before losing, which is pretty decent. But, I'm probably not going to analyze them all here, since I find looking over my losses a lot more instructive than looking over my wins.

Without further ado, I present:

Chess Blindness



[Event "Let's Play!"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2010.07.06"]
[Round ""]
[White "lindseyann"]
[Black "Krasi24"]
[TimeControl "1"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO " "]
[WhiteELO "1242"]
[BlackELO "1378"]

1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.Nc3 Nc6 4.e4
{Already, I've made a stupid mistake, dropping a pawn right away. Better would have been either Nf3 or e3.}
4...Nxd4 5.Bxc4 e6 6.Be3 Nc6 7.Nf3 Bb4 8.Qb3
{So I can castle without isolating a pawn.}
8...Nf6 9.Nd2
{This move was sort of pointless on my part. Bb5 or Rd1 or 0-0 would have probably been more productive. My knight seems a bit loose here and I've plugged up the open file.}
9...a5 10.O-O O-O 11.Rfd1 h6 12.a3
{After this move, I've gotten back some of the initiative that I'd given up.}
12...Bxc3 13.Qxc3 Ng4 14.Nf3
{I played this to gain a tempo, control of the center, and look after the h2 & h4 squares.}
14...Qe7
{At this point in the game, even though I'm down a pawn, I feel pretty good about my position. My pieces seem a lot more active and better placed them him. Unfortunately I get a little to comfortable with my position soon, and I over look forced win for him.}
15.Be2
{I probably should have played Bf4 here, to prevent him from trading his knight for my bishop.}
15...f6 16.Nh4
{I was playing to put my knight on the hole at g6 (also, forking the queen and rook). But, I stupidly missed the easy tactic 16. Bc5 winning the exchange.}
16...Nce5 17.Bxg4
{I thought this was brilliant, since after Nxg4 Ng6 I've accomplished what I set out to do. Not only does it backfire, but the simple Bc5 is still on the board.}
17...g5
{I totally missed this response, and my bishop is hanging along with my knight. However, the computer still shows me in the lead with 5.02, if I play Bc5 that is. What do you think I'll do?}
18.Ng6
{Well, I certainly never saw Bc5. Now, my "plan" has failed and I'm pretty well psychologically devastated.}
18...Nxg6 19.Rd3
{I still could have played it, and I gave him the chance to fork my pieces.}
19...Ne5
{Now even here I could have still played Bc5 and had the advantage...}
20.Be2 Nxd3 21.Bxd3 e5
{I won't even bother pointing out the obvious at this point.}
22.Bc4+ Kh8
{And, with that move Bc5 is no longer an option!}
23.Rd1 Bg4 24.Rd2 Rfd8
{Now, around this point of the game, I wrote in my notes: "Watch out for back-rank mates! Only bishop to f4 is keeping you safe!" But, keeping with the theme of carelessness that this game has had running through it, I soon fail to heed my own advice.}
25.Rc2 Be6 26.Bxe6 Rd1+ 27.Qe1 Rxe1#
0-1

No comments: